Thursday, August 11, 2011

Fresh Salsa with a bit of a kick!

My hubby has been making this salsa for awhile now. I'm not a fan of anything spicy, or with a "little kick" to it, but lately I have been trying to broaden my food horizon.  I am trying to be a big girl these days, and not a plain Jane food eater. I decided to give it a try. The verdict is, I love it! Why was I not eating this before?! I don't know, but I am now. It's really easy to make it, and you can tweak the ingredients if you want. Here are the main ones that you will need.
Tomatoes x 5
Red Onion x 1
Red, Green, and Yellow Pepper x 1 each
Jalapeno x 2
Cilantro
Lemon x1
Lime x1
Garlic (chopped)
Orange juice (very small bottle, you only need a splash)
Franks Red Hot sauce (splash)
Distilled Vinegar (Splash)
Oil and Vinegar (splash)
Salt (Sprinkled)
Chips ( whatever brand is your fave!)

Start by washing all of your tomatoes and peppers. I use the Vidalia Chop Wizard, it makes the salsa into those fab little squares.
 Cut the top and bottom of the peppers off,  and then cut out the insides. This is what they should look like when cleaned out.
 Place them in your wizard like so, or chop them in a grinder.
 Take your Jalapeno peppers, and clean half of them out. You want a little kick, but not that much.
 After you mix all that together, your salsa should look like this.
Next, chop up the onion.
 We put the Cilantro in our little processor. That way it was tiny enough to mix in well.
 It came out to be this size.
 Add your salt next. We just kind of shook it back and forth over the bowl, there wasn't really a measured amount, just use your judgement.
 The same goes for the hot sauce.  If you like it hot, splash away my friends! Add a scoop full of Garlic to the mix, and squeeze the Lemon and Lime until all the juice is out. Try not to get any of the pulp in it.
All done! We like it with the multi grain Tostitos Scoops. They have a little flavor to them that adds a little more to it. Pictured here is a Tostitos Artisan chips in Fire Roasted Chipotle.
These are for me....

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...