Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Buttery Jam Tarts!

Baked Goods! Yum!

Okay, so lets start with our baked goods! Last night we tried two new recipes. One was from an old book from the 80's. I honestly can't even remember the name to give it any credit. It was a holiday and cookies cookbook, almost like a joy of cooking type. I had frantically searched through it, before my mom moved out of state, to steal a bunch of recipes that I had loved growing up. This one was a little more than I could handle back when I was a kid, but now that I am older I thought I would give it a try. The recipe..Buttery Jam Tarts. They are yummy kids! I wasn't sure how they were going to turn out, but the end result was delish. They are basically like a shortbread cookie with filling. I almost didn't finish them because I kept eating the batter! I could hear my mom in my head screaming "There's raw egg in there!" Yet I did not care. Once I added the almond extract to it, mmm. It smelled like I had just poured a shot of Ameretto. It smelled so good! So I ate away, wasting dough. Anyway the first batch, was great, although they do not look like a million bucks. I will def. "fork" them out of the cookie sheet next time, so that they look a little more clean.
But here is the recipe for all...

Jam tarts

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup cherry preserves
Sugar for sprinkling

Oven @ 350
Mix all ingredients (except for cherries) in a large mixer, scraping often, until well mixed, for about 3-4 minutes.
Roll half the dough, on well floured surface, to about a 1/8 inch thickness.
Cut out with 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
Mark a small x in the other half of dough.
Place level teaspoons of cherry filling on cookie, and top with other half. Sprinkle with sugar.
Bake 11-13 minutes, until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
                                                                Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...